NATURAL RESOURCES AND ENERGY
One of the most experienced mining law firms in Finland – ready to facilitate your exploration and mining projects
Finland is located on the Fennoscandian shield, which has strong similarities to Canada and Australia, indicating strong mineral potential.
The majority of exploration and mining companies active in Finland are SMEs, most of which are listed on foreign stock exchanges such as TSX, SSX, Oslo and Nasdaq Stockholm.
Geological Survey of Finland (GTK), a government research institute, maintains a publicly accessible database, containing a comprehensive selection of geological data sets as well as over 3,5 million meters of drill cores. These drill cores can be studied at GTK’s facilities.
Finland is politically and socially stable. Our judicial system is based on rule of law and our permitting and administrative procedures are transparent and predictable, which ensures protection of the rights and legitimate interests of business entities.
Kalliolaw has a long-standing experience in the mining sector and as a result we are one of the leading mining law firms in Finland.
Providing high-quality advice for energy sector companies
Finland is one of the world leaders in the utilization of renewable sources of energy. For instance, the objective of the wind power industry in Finland is to achieve at least 30 TWh of annual wind power production, corresponding to approximately 30 per cent of the country’s electricity consumption.
We advise energy companies and investors in energy transactions and project financing as well as in matters regarding energy regulation and policy. We also provide legal advice supporting our clients’ day-to-day operations, such as preparing of tailored commercial contacts.
Our services for natural resource and energy industries
- Mineral right and energy project transactions, mergers and acquisitions as well as legal due diligence
- Project financing
- Mining, exploration and environmental permitting
- Land use
- Tenement management
- Transferring and pledging of mineral rights
- Strategic joint ventures
- Option and development agreements as well as royalty and NSR models
- Mineral title examination
- Environment, nature conservation and liability issues
Our experience from natural resource and energy industries
- We have been involved in most of the mining and exploration sector transactions in Finland.
- We regularly advise mining sector companies in obtaining mineral rights.
- We assist numerous exploration companies with their day-to-day operations.
- We have provided legal advice supporting energy companies’ day-to-day operations, such as preparing of tailored commercial contacts.
- We have advised an energy company on its financing and M&A matters.
- We advised Rupert Resources Ltd. on its equity financings, raising a total of CAD 25,6 million.
- We advised Strategic Resources Inc. in the acquisition of the Mustavaara mine assets from Ferrovan Oy’s bankruptcy estate.
- We advised First Quantum Minerals Ltd. on the sale of its nickel-copper-platinum Kevitsa mine to Boliden Mineral AB for USD 712 million.
- Kalliolaw experts serve as authors of the Getting the Deal Through: Mining 2023RK2023-06-08T14:15:56+03:00
Kalliolaw experts serve as authors of the Getting the Deal Through: Mining 2023
- Recent developments in mining and environmental legislation, September 2021RK2021-09-23T15:21:34+03:00
Recent developments in mining and environmental legislation, September 2021
- Legal Alert – Mining tax to be introduced in 2023 in FinlandKalliolaw2022-05-10T11:09:33+03:00
Legal Alert – Mining tax to be introduced in 2023 in Finland